Updated 1 July 2021
What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are widely used by website owners in order to make their websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information.
- granting you access to restricted content on the Website;
- tailoring our Website’s functionality to you personally by letting us remember your preferences, location or device type;
- improving how our Website performs;
- understanding who our audience is so that we can provide content most relevant to you; and
- allowing third parties to provide services to our Website
The types of cookies we use
We use different types of cookies on our website. Some of these cookies are placed by us, while others are placed by our third-party plug-ins, suppliers or advertisers. These cookies may be deleted from your device at different times, such as at the end of your browsing session (when you leave the Website) or after a pre-set amount of time, or they may persist on your device until you delete them.
We use the following types of cookies on our Website:
- essential cookies – these are cookies that allow our Website to perform its essential functions. Without these cookies, some parts of our Website would stop working.
- site analytics cookies – these are cookies that monitor how our Website is performing, and how you interact with it. We use them to know how best to improve our Website or services.
- functional cookies – these are cookies that remember who you are as a user of our Website. We use them to remember any preferences you may have selected on our Website, like saving your username and password or settings.
- marketing cookies – these cookies are used to create user profiles to display advertising or to track the user on this website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes. (On our Website our Social Media – Twitter and Youtube – use these cookies)
The information we collect from cookies includes:
- Log and Usage Data. Log and usage data is service-related, diagnostic, usage and performance information our servers automatically collect when you access or use our Website, and which we record in log ﬁles. Depending on how you interact with us, this log data may include your IP address, device information, browser type and settings and information about your activity in the Website (such as the date/time stamps associated with your usage, pages and ﬁles viewed, searches and other actions you take such as which features you use), device event information (such as system activity, error reports (sometimes called ‘crash dumps’) and hardware settings).
- Device Data. We collect device data such as information about your computer, phone, tablet or other device you use to access the Website. Depending on the device used, this device data may include information such as your IP address (or proxy server), device and application identiﬁcation numbers, location, browser type, hardware model Internet service provider and/or mobile carrier, operating system and system conﬁguration information.
- Location Data. We collect location data such as information about your device’s location, which can be either precise or imprecise. How much information we collect depends on the type and settings of the device you use to access the Website. For example, we may use GPS and other technologies to collect geolocation data that tells us your current location (based on your IP address). You can opt out of allowing us to collect this information either by refusing access to the information or by disabling your location setting on your device. Note however, if you choose to opt out, you may not be able to use certain aspects of the Website.
How can I control cookies?
You have the right to decide whether to accept or reject cookies.
Your internet browser generally accepts cookies automatically, but you can often change this setting to stop accepting them. You can also delete cookies manually. Deleting or no longer accepting cookies may prevent you from accessing certain aspects of our Website where cookies are necessary or because the Website forgot your preferences.
Where can I get further information?
1 Anzio Rd, Observatory
Cape Town, Western Cape, 7925, South Africa